Friday, March 26, 2010

Who Is This That Darkeneth Thy Counsel?

Late nights and William Faulkner. The Sound and the Fury. Mornings and Rob Bell. Velvet Elvis. There is a hurting world and it revolves around the self, so says 20th century writers. There is a hurting world and it revolves around the our perverted view of the way, so says an ancient Jewish Rabbi.

Learned men gather around the intellectual table of the last two thousand years to discuss the great world philosophies, and the most innovative ideas that can be conjured up are existentialism, nihilism, and humanism. There is no meaning beyond self, there is no meaning, and meaning only comes from the relation of the self with humanity. Humanity is the highest aspiration. Beyond my insights and my knowledge there is nothing. Beyond me there is nothing. I can not even prove that you exist, ergo you have no meaning. I can not prove I exist, therefore I have no meaning. 20th Century Philosophy.

If I was to venture and put in my two cents I would have to admit that of these philosophies only humanism even approaches the truth. I do exist, and although faux-philosophers and so-called intellectuals will tell you otherwise I do believe there is no doubt, at least in my own mind, to my existence. I think, therefore I am. I believe also that I can very much prove your existence. Since the experience of existence is a series of electrical impulses sent and received by the nervous system there is no way to prove beyond what we are given that anything exists. So one must approach the obvious by what we already know. I know that when I touch someone I can feel there skin, and when I talk to someone I can experience empathy. I need nothing more to prove to myself that they are as real as I. My ability to comprehend them without ever being able to understand them allows me to be able to prove their, in my own mind, existence via my experience. By comprehension of their emotions I can prove to myself that something exists which causes me to feel empathy and by lack of understanding I come to the conclusion that this something is altogether beyond myself, therefore making their existence outside of me conclusive.

Judeo-christian theology has never been that concerned with asking questions about whether or not we exist. It is a moot point at best. Followers of the messiah have always been more concerned about how one treats their existence, and how to live it as one should. The life of Christ requires action. You can not sit around wallowing in self reflection and be a christian. There is a message, a Way, in which to live. God says beyond your own existential reality there is a deeper reality that created you. If you wish to live you have to live in harmony with the deepest reality of the there is, God's love, or the law. If others exist, and their existence is just as valid as ours, God says that we must love them as we would love ourselves. This is the law, the way, and if you choose to live outside of the deepest reality in the universe everything will be out of sync. Take a look at the world today, does it look like we are out of sync with the Way? Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.

I have chosen to live in a world where I am not the only thing that exists. I live in a world beyond that of the 20th Century writers. I live in a world where love means more than self satisfaction, I live in a world where there's a way, a truth, a life. Yeshua is leading me into that truth everyday. The Spirit is guiding me in that way. I am growing into the deepest existence possible, the one where the suffering mankind does matter, that there is ultimate truth, and that I can love that truth. I don't even have to prove it, I just have to live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment